Girls Varsity Softball
Game Summaries & Headlines.
Girls Varsity Softball vs. Republic R-3 HS School
- Game Date
- Aug 28, 2020
- CUBS: 6
REPUBLIC R-3 HIGH SCHOOL: 7
- Monett Lady Cubs Varsity Claws Back, But Falls Just Short Against Republic
- Despite a 5-run deficit in the fifth inning, Monett Lady Cubs Varsity almost came all the way back, eventually falling 7-6 to Republic on Friday. Monett Lady Cubs Varsity scored four runs in the failed comeback on a walk by Maddie Mettlach, a single by Ashtyn Blakey, and a groundout by Abby McCaffrey.
- Monett Lady Cubs Varsity collected five hits and Republic had nine in the high-scoring affair.
- Monett Lady Cubs Varsity got things started in the first inning when Taylor Southard hit a solo homer.
- In the bottom of the second inning, Republic tied things up at two. #12 grounded out, scoring one run.
- Republic pulled away for good with three runs in the third inning. In the third #24 singled on a 1-2 count, scoring one run and #35 homered on a 3-2 count, scoring two runs.
- Monett Lady Cubs Varsity put up four runs in the seventh inning. The offensive onslaught by Monett Lady Cubs Varsity was led by Mettlach, Blakey, and McCaffrey, who all drove in runs.
- #24 was on the rubber for Republic. She went seven innings, allowing six runs on five hits, striking out five and walking one.
- Caitlyn Calhoun was in the pitcher's circle for Monett Lady Cubs Varsity. She lasted six innings, allowing nine hits and seven runs while striking out four.
- Monett Lady Cubs Varsity hit one home run on the day. Southard went deep in the first inning.
- Southard led Monett Lady Cubs Varsity with two hits in four at bats.
- Republic scattered nine hits in the game. #35 and #24 each had multiple hits for Republic.
- "Powered by Narrative Science and GameChanger Media. Copyright 2020. All rights reserved." Any reuse or republication of this story must include the preceding attribution.